Things I have been making

In my last silvermithing class, I had half an hour and no project to work on.

I had a bit of a trawl through my silversmithing box and turned up some odd sterling silver jump rings in 3mm and 5mm sizes.

I closed them off, filed down the joins to make a larger surface area for the solder to stick to and got out my silver solver paste1.

I soldered it in two parts, soldering the small rings  and the larger rings together first and then rouging the joins before soldering the sets together to make the final piece.

I then cleaned it up and polished it with silvo (and it was way too small for the class polishing machine) and then lightly hammered it on the front and back before polishing it up some more.

I’m really pleased with how it turned out. I think next time I’ll solder the rings closed first with some hard solder, but as a test piece for a much larger final piece (which I now have bubbling in the back of my mind, I just need something to make larger jumprings out of) I’m happy with how it turned out.

1normal solder probably wouldn’t work for this as it’s way too fiddly to get the bits of solder into the joins and there’s always the worry that the flux would push the rings apart when I was heating up as the rings really do weigh next to nothing.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Crafty, silversmithing, Soldering. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s