So, you may remember a few weeks ago, I mentioned that I was going to do some workshops at a local skills festival.
Well, I ordered in all my bits and pieces, filled my soldering torch with gas and got my bead boxes prepped and ready to go.
I was based in a massive marque with loads of other workshops and demonstrations from Japanese and French classes to DIY demonstrations.
Here’s my little set up. I got a little light and a nice flat surface to work on. It’s simple, but it’s all I needed.
Because the table was a bit slopey I put a handful of the beads into the lids of my bead tubs so that they wouldn’t go rolling off. I’ve also got a tub of feathers and bits of ribbon for the fascinators/tiaras.
I was planning on doing two workshops and a demonstration during the day.
My first demonstration was necklace making. I’d ordered from bead mixes from Jilly Beads in Sea Green and I also had a massive bag of Czech pressed glass beads that I’d bought some time ago. Unfortunately my willing ‘victims’ didn’t have much choice, but I couldn’t afford to buy lots of colours especially when I wasn’t selling any jewellery at this event.
Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of the finished necklace. However, I like it so much that I’m going to write up a tutorial on how to make it once I’ve got a little bit of free time on my hands.
My second workshop was tiaras/fascinators. As the races and the Flower Show are coming up I thought this would generate a lot of interest, especially considering just how expensive a tiara is nowadays. (That’s why I made my own whenever I needed one).
Here’s my finished fascinator and I don’t think it looks too bad for only the second one I’ve ever made.
My last workshop was a silversmithing demonstration. My friend Sam came down to cheerlead with her baby daughter so I made her a silver and copper pendant with a stamped baby foot and her daughter’s initial stamped on it. (I admit that I cheated, I didn’t saw out the discs I used my super!awesome disc cutter instead. Well, I’d still be there now sawing it out if I didn’t.)
I’m so very pleased with how it turned out, I got to experiment with my silver solder paste again too. I’m using so little of it on the joins but it still looks like I’m using too much because it’s seeping anyway. But that’s why I’m practising with it.
Sam was very pleased with her little pendant. and I think it came out really well too. (Although I took this photo of it before I’d finished polishing it up which is why the patina is looking decidedly ropey.)
All in all I had a really good day doing this. I think those who attended the workshops may actually be able to make necklaces and fascinators and the like and that my teaching wasn’t too awful.